1.What is Silica Gel?
- Silica gel is a granular, vitreous, porous form of silicon dioxide made synthetically from sodium silicate. It is a naturally occurring mineral that is purified and processed into either granular or beaded form. As a desiccant, it has an average pore size of 2.4 nanometers and has a strong affinity for water molecules.
2.What is Structure of Silica Gel?
- Silica gel has core of silicon atoms joined together with oxygen atoms by siloxane bonds (silicon-oxygen-silicon bonds). Chemical formula of silica gel is mSiO2 • nH2O.
3.How Silica gel is manufactured?
- The silica gel is manufactured through the reaction between water glass and sulfuric acid, and further gelling, washing, desalting, amidation, drying and screening.
4.How many types of silica gel available in market?
- There is mainly two types of silica gel available in market.
1.Indicating Type Silica gel
- In this indicating type silica gel there is also two types of silica gel available in market based on their color changing phenomena.
Blue Indicating Type Silica gel
- It appears dark blue in color when free from moisture and gives indication from dark blue to pink when it absorb moisture.cobalt chloride is use for blue to pink indication.
Orange Indicating Type Silica gel
- In this type there is also two sub type of Orange Indicating silica gel.
1.Orange to Dark Green
- It appears orange color when free from moisture and converts to light orange,yellow,light green and finally dark green color when completely hydrated.
2.Orange to Colorless
- It appears orange color when free from moisture and converts to colorless when completely hydrated.
2.Non Indicating Type Silica Gel
- It appears in white transparent silica gel. It will not give any clear visual indication of color when it completely hydrated.
5.What is moisture adsorption capacity of silica gel?
- It can adsorb moisture 35 to 40% depends on various environmental parameter like Temperature,humidity, and Air flow.
6.How to regenerate or reactivate or re-use silica gel?
- Yes,It can be regenerate or reactivate or re-use by heating it 150 °C for 1-2 hrs.
7.Why should we use silica gel?
- Because,It helps to protect damage of valuable goods due to moisture effects like corrosion,erosion or growth of fungus,mold or bacteria.
8.How to use silica gel?
- It can be use as silica gel pouch/sachet/Bag depends on surrounding area which we want to protect from moisture effects.
9.What is silica gel sachets/pouch/bags?
- Silica gel pouch/sachets/bag is a simply flexible container of silica gel. its different synonyms use for different size. silica gel sachet word is use generally for 1,2,5gm quantity. silica gel Pouch word is use for 10,20,50,100,250,500 gm quantity. silica gel bag word is use for 1 kg,2 kg,5kg quantity.
10.How to calculate silica gel pouch size?
- Below table will guide to decide size of silica gel pouch.
|Sr No.||Container Dimension (L*W*H) Inche||Size of Silica gel Sachet/Pouch/Bag|